的态度 and 知识 | 年轻人
的 工程品牌监控r 2021, parents and students 发布的最新报告显示, 2022年4月, aims to understand perceptions and understanding around engineering, as well as aspirations and intentions to pursue engineering as a 职业生涯, and how parents and teachers can influence these aspirations.
在这里, 工程品牌监控r sets out to understand what 年轻人 know about engineering 职业生涯s and how they perceive them. This includes their 知识 about what engineers can do in their jobs, the image they have of engineering, their perception that being an engineer ‘fits’ well with who they are and their interest in a 职业生涯 in engineering.
我们的 analysis also suggests 知识 of what an engineer does and how you become an engineer as well as perceptions and interest in the profession varies by not only by gender, but also socioeconomic background, 民族和地区. 报告发现:
- Only 48% of girls say they know what engineers do, compared to 61% of boys
- 年轻人 from lower income families are less likely to be interested in engineering, with only 43% of 年轻人 from a lower income and level of education family saying they are interested compared to 65% of 年轻人 from a higher income and level of education family.
- Where you live can influence your 知识 of engineering pathways. Teenagers in London are twice as likely to know what subjects or qualifications they need to become an engineer than 年轻人 in the West Midlands (60% compared to 30%)
第一次, parents were asked to answer questions about their perceptions of engineering, 专业背景, and how much they engage in 职业生涯s activities with their child, before handing the survey over to their child to complete. This means that responses from parents and 年轻人 to the EBM can be linked and the association between responses from each examined.
- 年轻人 whose parents said they know what engineers do were more than twice as likely to express an interest in an engineering 职业生涯 than those whose parents said they did not
- 78% of 年轻人 whose parents said they regularly do STEM activities with their child said they were interested in a 职业生涯 in engineering
- Nearly 9 in 10 年轻人 whose parents said they were confident giving their child advice about 职业生涯s in engineering said they were interested in a 职业生涯 in engineering.
Download the 工程品牌监控r 2021, parents and students report
Download the 工程品牌监控r 2021, students data tables
以前的 工程品牌监控r reports remain available in our 研究档案.
Environmental Sustainability and Engineering
发表在 2022年9月, this briefing looks the opinions of 年轻人, their parents and teachers using data from the 工程品牌监控r.
- 70% of 年轻人 said ‘engineers are important for improving the environment’
- 年轻人 who agreed that ‘engineers are important for improving the environment’ were almost 7 times more likely to be interested in a 职业生涯 that involves engineering than those who did not agree.
Find out more and download the briefing.
Levelling up engineering skills
Levelling up engineering skills: widening opportunities for 年轻人，发表于 2022年1月, provides an overview of 年轻人’s and their parents’ 知识 and perceptions of the different routes into engineering 职业生涯s, drawing on regional insights from EngineeringUK’s latest 工程品牌监控r.
- Less than half of 年轻人 know about the apprenticeship options available to them
- Most 年轻人 don’t yet know what T水平 are
- 年轻人’s 知识 of pathways into engineering differs by region but it is not a clear-cut north/south divide
- Socioeconomic background appears to play a role in shaping 年轻人’s 知识 and perceptions of education and skills pathways
Find out more and download the briefing
年轻人 and Covid-19
During the pandemic, in summer 2020, we surveyed 年轻人 (aged 11 to 19). 我们的 年轻人 and Covid-19 简报，发表于 2020年8月, presents the findings, which included:
- 的 pandemic is deepening gender differences in 职业生涯 aspirations in engineering or technology
- 年轻人 are concerned going to university or becoming an apprentice will be more difficult in the future
We made recommendations to support 年轻人, including ensuring they have access to education, 培训, jobs and work placements in STEM.
Find out more and download the briefing